Kiser was the first existing vineyard our family purchased in order to continue to expand the business.
The land that is now known as Kiser Vineyard was historically used in a manner typical throughout Sonoma Valley for over a hundred years: dairies and small family farms with hay and fruit trees.
Four generations of the Kiser family have lived in Sonoma Valley, starting with Peter Kiser, a Swiss dairyman, who sailed around the horn and settled in Sonoma Valley in 1857. There, he made cheese and butter under the Pupula Ranch label which he shipped to San Francisco by boat via Sonoma Creek.
The historic house where Ron and Marilyn Kiser live today was built in 1873 by the Agnew family. Conrad Kiser, Peter's son, purchased the house and surrounding land in 1904 and established and ran a dairy with his brother Mike. In 1917 Peter built a barn -- which still stands today --- for milking cows, storing hay and raising calves. He routinely delivered milk and eggs to town in a horse and buggy.
In 1974 Pete sold the dairy and land (but not the house) to Terry Nazworthy, a developer. After his development plans were blocked, Nazworhty sold the land to Schlitz Brewery, then owners of Geyser Peak Winery who immediately planted grapes. Less than ten years later Schlitz exited the wine industry and sold Kiser Vineyard to Henry Trione who in turn sold it to the Sangiacomo family in 1987.
With 170 planted acres, Kiser is one of the largest of the Sangiacomos' vineyards. It was the first existing vineyard purchased by the Sangiacomo family and played a key role during the critical expansion of their grapegrowing business in the 1980s. First planted in 1974, Kiser is set on a rolling slope, with Zamora and Huichica soils. Both Rodgers and Fowler Creeks run through the vineyard. There are more than twenty combinations of clone and rootstocks. Kiser is a grape source for seventeen wineries.
- Certified Sustainable (CSWA)
- Planted Acreage: 170
- Varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Merlot
- Appellations: Carneros and Sonoma Coast