The Catarina purchase allowed sufficient expansion for Vittorio's four children to stay in the family business.
When it came time for Adrien Catarina to sell his beloved 107-acre ranch, he knew exactly who he wanted the new owner to be: Vittorio Sangiacomo. Adrien wished to have the land remain in agriculture and he knew in his heart that Vittorio would keep farming it. He approached Vittorio in 1952 with a proposal that he quickly accepted. Vittorio knew that he must get more land if his three sons and daughter--- then in their twenties --- were to stay in the family business.
Agriculture on the ranch dates back to the mid-1800s when hay was cultivated to sell to local dairies. By the early 20th century cultivation had grown to include prune trees.
When the Sangiacomo family purchased the land, it was planted to hay and ten acres of prunes. In the early days the family continued to farm the existing prune trees, hand harvesting them into 40 lb. wooden lug boxes, dehydrating them, and selling them to fruit packing companies in northern California.
In 1958 the prune trees were pulled out and pear trees were planted on the whole ranch, yielding 85 acres of orchards. The family continued to farm the pear trees, shipping them to canneries until grapes were first planted in 1982.
Although the land has been owned by the Sangiacomo family since 1952, the first vineyards were not planted until 1982. The vineyard is bordered on the eastern edge by Sonoma Creek and the soil is a Zamora silty clay loam with gravel stratas. More than fifteen wineries source Chardonnay grapes from Catarina Vineyard.
- Certified Sustainable (CSWA)
- Planted Acreage: 80
- Varietals: Chardonnay and Pinot Noir
- Appellations: Carneros and Sonoma Coast