Fedrick was one of the last vineyards planted during the large expansion phase of our business.
The first wine grapes in the Lakeville region are reputed to have been planted by William Bihler as early as 1878. Viticultural plantings topped three hundred acres in 1891 before succumbing to Phylloxera and Prohibition in the early 1900s.
Fedrick Vineyard is located near to the historic Bihler propery and was part of the original Rancho Petaluma Land Grant issued to Mariano Guadalupe Vallejo in 1834. The land was sold in 1864 by Vallejo to J.R. Rose, a pioneer from Ohio who bred Devonshire cattle on his ranch until he sold it to the Herzog dairy family in 1926.
Max Herzog met Dick "C.R." Fedrick at a deer hunting club near Ukiah in the 1960s and in short order they became fast friends. C.R. had grown up on a cattle ranch in New Mexico and was living near San Francisco but was looking for land to build a house and raise cattle. In 1980, Max sold C.R. 400 acres of land located across the Lakeville Highway from the Herzog's Sleepy Hollow Dairy.
In the early 1990s, C.R. began to lease the nearby Donnell Ranch for winter grazing. When he began thinking about developing a vineyard, he sought the advice of Justin Faggioli, husband of Sandra Donnell of El Novillero Vineyard. Like Justin and Sandra, C.R. approached the Sangiacomo family about forming a partnership. At the time they were not looking to plant another vineyard so close on the heels of having planted the Roberts Road Vineyard a year earlier. And market conditions at the time were tough due to the recession.
C.R. prevailed, however, and the family agreed in 2000 to a partnership to develop a leased vineyard.
Fedrick Vineyard was planted in 2000 and was one of the last vineyards to be planted during the large expansion phase for the Sangiacomo family business.
Located directly across from the Lakeville Vineyard, it is in the southern end of the Petaluma Gap appellation. It is set on rolling hills and is known for its high end Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes that are sought after for their depth and balance. The vineyard has eleven clone and rootstock combinations and is the source of grapes for more than a dozen wineries. It was first planted in 2000.
- Certified Sustainable (CSWA)
- Planted Acreage: 60
- Varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Syrah
- Appellations: Sonoma Coast and Petaluma Gap